Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Random Writing #2a

        “You had your chance and everything fell to chrishval!” I shouted at Jamie. I took a breath, and regained what I could of my composure. It didn’t work, but I was able to stop myself shouting. “You went off, alone, giving only a vague idea of where to find you, tried to work information out of a known Carmalkan secret serviceman, did not have an escape plan, got caught.”  For the first time since the escape I looked him in the face. Jamie looked guilty as whore in church. The flames had singed him, his interrogation left bruises and his lip was bloody. It was time for me to put the pressure on him make him feel the full responsibility for his actions. “We had to extract you, and fast. A thousand dollars were spent finding your location, the serviceman knows we’re after him, and some hotel owner lost several rooms to a fire.” He looked down and bit his lip, he knew what I was about to say. “Two men died getting you out.” I saw a tear form. “Their names were Jacob and Edward. Jacob was a fae hunter, one of the lucky ones, he survived three expeditions. He was going to settled down on his money, had a girl he was sweet on, worked for me so he could have safe job.” He sobbed, and started to mumble something, I wasn’t about to let up. “ Edward was married, he has a daughter, her name is Lilian, his wife’s name is Marla.” This time the sob came out, he looked away from me into the corner. I started to lose my calm, my voice rose. “His daughter will never remember her father. Marla will have to raise Lilian and tell her why she doesn’t have a father.” I was back at a yell and starting to tremble. “Lilian has no father because of your stupidity! Your arrogance lost two men their lives!”
        “Why are you saying this!” He made eye contact. “What difference can it make!”
        I lost my restraint. “It makes the difference to you!” I allowed him my best, blood-curdling glare. “This rescue was volunteer only. Edward and Jacob died for you, and the rest took the same gamble. I would have killed you.” I paused to gauge his reaction. “I would have cursed or shot you at the first opportunity and if one didn’t come soon enough I’d have made one. I don’t allow loose ends, and you aren’t valuable enough for me to order a recovery. I would kill you now, but they paid for you with their blood, each of them worth six of you. You are alive because of they died.” He had since dropped eye contact. A good thing too, if he hadn’t I may have given him a mark to remember Jacob and Edward by.
        We stood for a minute in silence. “Make yourself worthy of their sacrifice, make yourself worth a child growing up without her father.” I said with venom, I wanted to burn this into him, and I did. He broke into deep sobs, tremoring and gasping with each breath. I snorted satisfaction and marched out the door.
        “Leave him be until he chooses to come out.” I ordered to Miranda’s guard in the hall. She nodded as I passed by. I made my way to the stairs nearly taking out another of Miranda’s guards at the corner. Once up the stairs and on the rooftop I lit a fireleaf cheroot, and paced about fuming in carmalkan. I was on my second cheroot when I finally started to calm down. It was good timing too, just as I put out the half consumed fireleaf Jessabelle came up onto the roof, looking troubled.
        “Mark, we need you downstairs.” At that moment she looked every one of her fifteen years, a bit timid and weak, which is very rare for her.
        I raised my eyebrow “What’s the problem?”
        “Miranda and I can’t get our lovely captive to talk. We figure we could use a professional's help.” She seemed almost afraid to say it. I didn’t blame her, I broke into a near manic grin.
        “A return to old habits may be just what I need.” I looked her in the eye, she flinched. “Madam, you have an interigator.”

*to be continued*

No comments:

Post a Comment