Monday, December 21, 2015

Random writing #1a

        I looked out the window into the rain. The rain that had threatened to come all day. It had come in a carpet, covering all the city. There was a darkness that joined it, and together they ruined the view from my hotel room. So I allowed myself to fall into Mother Nature’s rain trance. A flash, a crack, and the roll of drums. A flash, a crack, and the roll of drums. Flash, crack, drums. Flash, crack, drums. Flash crack, drums. Flash, crack, knock, drums. I turned to face the door, the source of the interruption. A shadow was in the slit below, someone wanted to see me. I stepped around a table, walked up to the door, and peered through the glass.
        The man that I saw was broad and hairy, like a lumberjack in a suit. I took note of a tattoo. A very subtle tattoo was on the inside of his ear, it had the shape of a black heart. I swung the door open and presented myself.
        “Mr. Nurend,” he started, “I bring you the polite regards of Miranda and welcome you to the city.” I nodded acknowledgment, the messenger continued. “As a gift to show her welcome, Miranda wishes to inform you that a private detective named John Doe has been hired to find you and keep tabs on you. He was hired earlier this day.” Again I nodded, this time indicating I understood. He returned my nod with one of his own, “I wish you a good night Mr. Nurend.” He turned and walked toward the elevator. I shut my door, and looked over my room, dispelling the last of the rain trance.
        It was a posh affair, if perhaps a little small. From the door there as a sitting area, complete with elegant chairs and a sweeping settee. The coffee table boasted expensive teak legs with a sleek marble top. To my right was the open door to the bedroom. Within that room stood a grand wardrobe and drawers as well as a regal four poster affair humbly referred to as a bed. The adjoined bathroom was tiled and tubed well enough for Solomon himself. All of the walls displayed art, or some modern trash pretending to be art. Doubtless within each frame was a minor treasure, but I didn’t care for any of it at all.
        I took a breath and set to work. Striding across the carpet, I opened my still packed luggage, and began to search for something. After a moment I pulled out a little wood box. From inside the box I drew out what to normal people would be a wind chime. It was not a wind chime, it was a charm with three golden-yellow disks and a sizable pearl of iron. I hung it by its chain from a light fixture above the coffee table where it could warn me of any unwanted presence. I then removed from my pocket a case of what resembled cigarettes, but they were not of tobacco. I removed one and set it to my lips. It ignited as I deftly tapped the end with my finger. For a moment I faced the wide window as the rain splattered upon it. Then I blew into it a fog of smoke that stuck onto the glass, before fading away. I paced about the suite and continued this process with the door, the heating vent, the bedroom window, and even the drains in the bathroom. I completed my protection by flicking white-gray ash at the base of the door, where an improbable breeze sorted it out into a neat line across the bottom of the doorway. Satisfied with my work, I snubbed out the non-cigarette in the rooms crystal ashtray.
        Feeling famished from my recent excursion, I plopped down into the fine chair beside the redial phone. I lifted the receiver and dialed nine for room service. A girl spoke through the phone, “Good evening. How may be of service?”
        “Good evening,” I said through my Curmalkan accent. “I would like to order dinner to my room, suite seven one five. Do you, perchance, serve stuffed cabbage?”
        “If you will allow us a little time sir, we absolutely can serve you your stuffed cabbage.” She chirped.
        “Such wonderful service. But I was hopping something in a short time. What would you suggest?”
        “Lamb with mint is our most popular entrĂ©e. I could have it up to your room in just a few minutes, if that’s what you’d like?”
        “Lamb is perfect. But I don’t want any wine with it, just some iced water if you would.”
        “Yes, sir. That will be up to you in a few minutes.” She sounded gleeful that I took her recommendation. “Would you like me to bring you anything else?”
        “Hmm. Yes, surprise me with a dessert of your choice. The stronger the better.” I said giving in to my taste for sweets.
        “Yes sir! I’ll have them right there.”
        “Thank you.” I put down the phone on its receiver and awaited my meal.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment